ImageHost.orgImageHost.orgImageHost.orgImageHost.orgImageHost.org

Friday, February 25, 2011

Homemade Canvas

Canvas art is huge right now. If you have gone to the craft stores you will know that a blank canvas is quite expensive. I wanted to make a few things with them but i just couldn't get myself to spend that much on something so simple. My husband said he would help me make our own. I have a cute project i want to do with a canvas so i thought i would show you how my husband and i saved money and make our own.

I bought a 1x2 inch wood slat from the hardware store for $1.50

I cut them in 2’ strips and since i don’t have the tools to cut it at a 45 degree angle i just squared them up.

DSC_9651

I used a staple gun to hold the wood together. I stapled them on the front and sides. 

DSC_9873

I wanted a smooth material that is a little heavier so i used a white “blackout” material. The last time i bought this i got like 4 yards but this time Kori was at the fabric store and saw a scrap piece and grabbed it for me. Even though i only used half of what she bought i still paid $5 so its a little more but It is so worth it if you plan to paint or draw on it. I laid out the material and made sure i had enough to fold over on each side. I did Iron out the material before i stapled it down. This is the last chance you will get.

DSC_9874

I have tried the corners a few different ways and this is my favorite it requires no cutting and has clean folds. I just hold the top and the side at the same time and bring them over to the top to staple them together.

DSC_9876 

There is only 2 small creases but you should only see 1 when its hanging on the wall.

DSC_9878 

Well this is my finished 2’x2’ blank canvas. I bought 1 more wood slat and made 2 and spent just over $8

Stay tuned cause i have a fun project planned for this canvas.

-Tara

16 comments:

  1. This is great! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cool, can't wait to see what you're going to do with it. Thanks for sharing and linking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you on the Hoppin Weekend. I am your newest GFC follower. If you could check out my blog and follow me back I would appreciate it. Thanks Amber
    http://dragonflysweetnest.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's a great idea! my cheap trick for framed canvas is to buy ugly cheap paintings at tag sales and gesso over them. thanks for the new tip!

    blessings,

    alison
    stuff and nonsense

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip. Can't wait to see what you have in store for this canvas. Hopping in from a hop. Love for you to stop by if you have time. Have a great weekend!

    Giveaway Blogdom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tip! I can't wait to see it finished!
    I am now following you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, I just spent about $20 on new 18 x 18 canvases for one of my projects in my basement this week...wish I had seen this tutorial first! Oh well, great job!! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to see what you create with it!!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tutorial, it will definitely come in handy! Can't wait to see the projects you come up with for the canvasses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so need to do this. I have the canvas already just need the wood. Thanks for sharing this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tutorial! You make it look so simple, I may actually try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea. I HAVE TO TAKE A GO AT IT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea. I HAVE TO TAKE A GO AT IT

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...